Tuesday 25 August 2009

Il faut cultiver notre jardin.


We live on a planet of almost 7 billion of living humans.

That’s a big number. Then, on days like today, I often think about that number and the fact that sheer luck makes some of our paths cross in the form of true friendship.

A social club of a lucky few, in a world of billions.

There are days when we are reminded, days when we consider how fortunate we are to have met a particular friend. A postcard through the letterbox. An unexpected gift. A phone call. A simple chat over a cup of coffee.

Today is Tuesday and it so happens to be a very special day for thousands of people who live thousands, thousands of miles away. They are about to embark on period of celebrations and prayers lasting twelve consecutive days honouring the Lord Ganesh, remover of all obstacles. Whole families will gather at temple gates in communal acts of prayer.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no know-it-all, I am just lucky to have been lucky to have a friend, one in seven billion, who emailed me this morning to remind me of such celebrations and the fact that, I would be in their prayers.

It may sound silly but it makes you feel special, like a rainbow in the rain.

Text & photo © Jesús Montero

1 comment: