Wednesday 4 May 2011

Don Blackbird and Robin Beckham...

Don Blackbird and Robin Beckham...

 This week-end and post the Royal wedding of the decade, I helped my dear friend Jilly to tidy up her garden in south London.

A lot of weeding and pruning. That kind of thing. All under the scrutiny of a blackbird and a robin who looked at me as if I was about to invade their home.

   In a way, I did but only for the better.

I was amazed at how close the two birds got to me and how carelessly habituated they seemed to be to my presence, having a nice little gossip.

Once our mission was completed and once we had cleared the garden of all the unnecessary green debris, the robin grew instantly fond of a football that we had rescued from under some bushes.

The robin perched himself on the ball, time and time again. The perfect look out. He was robin no more. He became Robin Beckham.



********************

Don Blackbird and Robin Beckham
Looked puzzled,
Quelle horreur...
For Jilly, in the garden,
Was causing great havoc.
What’s gotten into her?
Don Blackbird shouted!
What could possibly be the CAUSE?
That’s what one’s got to suffer!
Said Robin Beckham
When you let Jesús through the door...

text  and photo © Jesús Montero

No comments:

Post a Comment